Ways to Stay Healthy and Active in the Summer
06. 12. 2017
If summer reminds us of one thing, it’s how good it feels to relax. Clear blue skies and bright sunny days are the perfect invitation to nap in a hammock, read a book by the pool or kick back on your deck and watch the sunset. Lazy summer days are one of life’s simple pleasures, but too many of them can turn into unhealthy habits, unwanted weight gain, and recurrent heartburn. Follow these suggestions to maintain a healthy, heartburn-free lifestyle while you enjoy fun in the sun!
- Go for a swim – This favorite summertime activity is so much fun, you just might forget that it’s a full body workout. Swimming can burn anywhere from 400 to 700 calories per hour, making it a great form of exercise for weight loss.
- Enjoy fresh seasonal produce – Visit your local farmer’s market or pick-your-own farm for a family activity that’s fun and delicious! Berries, melons, summer squash, corn, and cucumbers are just a few colorful options that will tantalize your taste buds without aggravating heartburn.
- Lighten up your backyard barbecues – Family cookouts are a time-honored tradition, but they don’t always have the healthiest options. Try lightening the menu by using low-fat recipe substitutes and heartburn-friendly alternatives the next time you fire up the grill.
- Be a kid again – For the ultimate summer workout, spend an afternoon playing outside with the kids. Hopping on a skateboard, riding a bike or rollerblading around the block will work out muscles you forgot you even had. Of course, you’ll be having too much fun to care!
- Wear sunscreen – We’re all guilty of neglecting the most important rule of summer: always wear sunscreen. Opt for a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher, and remember to reapply every two hours or after swimming or sweating.
- Get plenty of rest – Long summer days and late sunsets may tempt us to stay up past our bedtimes, but remember that lack of sleep can contribute to heartburn. Commit to getting 7-9 hours of sleep every night to maintain your health and prevent acid reflux.