Mashed Potatoes Recipe with Peas and Turkey Bacon
01. 31. 2018
For those who struggle with acid reflux and heartburn, choosing low-fat, low-acid (alkaline) foods can ease symptoms. Peas, like many other green vegetables, are low in acid and are therefore not likely to cause gastrointestinal issues. Plus, peas are full of vitamins, minerals and fiber. Potatoes are another great option for heartburn sufferers. While it is tempting to top mashed potatoes with cheese, butter or sour cream, avoid these high-fat dairy toppings as they can make symptoms worse.
One way to dress up the mashed potatoes is to try this low-fat side dish, flavored with peas, low-fat turkey bacon, minimal butter, and salt and pepper. It may sound like an odd combination, but it is actually quite tasty!
Ingredients (Serves 4-5):
• 1.5 pounds baby red potatoes, cut into eighths
• 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
• 2 slices turkey bacon (¼ cup chopped)
• 2 tablespoons almond milk
• 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
• sea salt and pepper to taste
1) Place potatoes in pot and add just enough water to cover. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium and boil potatoes until they are very soft (about 10 minutes).
2) Meanwhile, cook turkey bacon in another pan. Chop and set aside.
3) Once potatoes are nearly done, turn heat down to low, add peas and cook for about one minute more. Drain liquid. Add almond milk and butter to potatoes and peas.
4) Using a fork, mash the potatoes and peas to desired consistency. Then stir in chopped turkey bacon. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.