Kiwi Coconut Sorbet Recipe Aids in Heartburn Relief
07. 03. 2018
Our focus is on men’s health this summer, and many men suffer from acid reflux, heartburn and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). If you have heartburn when lying down after eating or a burning sensation in your throat, you may be suffering from acid reflux (stomach acid flowing back up into the esophagus). You can help reduce reflux by changing your diet, so enjoy the fruit of summer and avoid symptoms by choosing kiwi over more acidic fruits like citrus.
Kiwi Health Benefits
Kiwi, much like the bananas in this recipe, can help alleviate heartburn symptoms. Kiwi is a non-citrus subtropical fruit with lower levels of citric acid than citrus fruit; plus when eaten, it’s highly-alkaline forming in the body. It’s an excellent source of vitamin C – it contains even more than an orange! Some people find that such antioxidants can help reduce their symptoms. It’s also rich in fiber, helping to speed up the digestion of food so it spends less time in the stomach. Men, you need about 38 grams of dietary fiber daily, and eating a serving of this sorbet will add to your intake.
This Kiwi Coconut Sorbet recipe is an easy-to-make, dairy-free treat that the whole family can enjoy. And guys, if you’re experiencing symptoms of acid reflux, take it seriously. Don’t brush it off. Left untreated, it can become a chronic issue called gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or damage the esophagus lining and lead to other issues. Take steps now so you can eat and be heartburn free this summer!
Ingredients (serves 2-3):
• 1 banana (⅔ cup sliced)
• 5 green or Sungold kiwis (2 cups diced)
• 2 tbsp honey
• 1 tbsp finely shredded coconut
• 1 tbsp coconut sugar
1) Mix kiwi, banana and honey in a blender. Then pour mixture into a bread pan, cover with tin foil and freeze overnight.
2) In the morning, break up the fruit mixture with a sturdy spoon, and then smooth it out again in the pan using the back of the spoon. After a minute or two, it will melt a bit, making it easier to scoop. Use a rounded teaspoon or tablespoon to scoop out the “sorbet” into balls and place into small dessert cups.
3) Sprinkle shredded coconut and coconut sugar onto each. Enjoy immediately: it will melt!